Tuesday, December 6, 2011

We're Going "Old School", 21st Century Style!



It's amazing how sometimes the sun, moon and stars align and a perfect project appears. This summer I was reading an article about the decline of the "art of letter writing" and the impending layoffs in Canada Post and thought "oh my". Flash forward one week later to our beloved Virginian native Kindergarten teacher offering me the email address of a friend of a friend from Spotslyvania, Virginia who wanted a Grade 2 penpal. And voila! What is a project that has been done for years became my AISI project and a favorite part of my Language Arts program this year. My students were each paired with a Grade 2 student and we've been busy. Our real world task became getting a job working at a newspaper and interviewing our partners during a Skype phonecall. The students took turns interviewing their partners and recording their answer. Our next phase of this AISI project is to now become movie producers and create a This is Our Town movie to send to Virginia in January. We will be out and about showing our partners what Forestburg looks like and what living in a small town is like.
So... what is something that my teacher did back in 1978 is something that can be spun into 21st century style. I'll keep you posted on my acting debut!